- This event has passed.
Community Event: Flapjacks & Friends
September 28 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pmFree
Many thanks to all who attended Flapjacks & Friends on September 28, 2019! Special thanks to our sponsors and teams, talented entertainers and our 135+ volunteers – all of whom came together to make the day a huge success! To enjoy photos from this festive day, click here and check out our Flapjacks album on Facebook!
Main Street invites you to Flapjacks & Friends, a free event on Saturday, September 28, from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm in Rockville Town Square (29 Maryland Avenue, Rockville MD 20850). We envision a casual, festive street party with several hundred people under a big tent with griddles and flapjacks! Our sponsors will stand side by side with Main Street members and cook flapjacks to serve our inclusive community. We will have live entertainment performed by children and adults of all abilities from local clubs, choirs, cheerleading squads and schools. Please join us as Main Street members, friends, neighbors, grandparents, children, colleagues, local and state politicians, Rockville retailers, donors and sponsors of all ages and stages come together for a greater purpose: to build community and provide a place that values people of all abilities.
Here are some important details about this fun event:
- Getting there: The event will be held in Rockville Town Square. Use 29 Maryland Ave, Rockville MD 20850, for GPS directions. Click here for details about transportation and parking.
- Food and Drink: Delicious pancakes, coffee and water will be served. Gluten-free pancakes will be available at Griddle #9 (near Pavilion stage on south side of tent).
- Seating: Seating will be very limited.
- Quiet space: Those needing a quiet space may use the Meeting Room #1 on the first floor of the Rockville Memorial Library until 12:30 pm. Use the entrance from the Town Square and the meeting room is across from the restrooms.
- Weather: We will have a large tent set up in Rockville Town Square for this event so it will occur rain or shine!
- Entertainment: We have a wonderful program planned for the day!
10:30- Marianne Sierk, Event Emcee
10:35- Movement by Aaron Anderson of A-Squad
10:45- Welcome by Jillian Copeland
10:50- Devenio Dance
11:10- David Godoy: Sax
11:25- JOY Supernovas of Special Olympics Montgomery County
11:40- Raffle Updates
11:45- Annabel Hunter: Piano
11:50- Annabel Hunter and Evan Bertrand Duet
11:55- Evan Bertrand: Piano
12:05- Loiederman Middle School Choir
12:20- Raffle Wrap Up
12:25- Thank You and Goodbye
- Porta-potties: Porta-potties and a handwashing station will be located across Maryland Ave. next to Gold’s Gym.
- Photo Booth: There will be a fun photo booth in the center of our tent. Please enjoy taking pictures throughout the day and share on social media with the hashtag #ThisIsWhatInclusionLooksLike.
- Raffle: Our fabulous raffle prizes will be on display behind the check-in table. Raffle tickets are $10. You do not need to be present to win! Cash and checks preferred but credit cards will be accepted.
- Main Street Merchandise: Main Street hats ($20), water bottles ($20) and drawstring bags ($15) will be available for purchase behind the check-in table. Cash and checks preferred but credit cards will be accepted.
- Water bottles: We encourage guests to bring refillable water bottles to reduce waste.
- Tour of Main Street construction site: We will offer a 25-minute tour of the Main Street construction site starting at 12:15 pm. The site is a 10-minute walk from the plaza. A meeting spot will be announced.
- Spreading the word: Please download the flyer and share with family, friends and colleagues.
- Fundraising: Funds raised will support Main Street’s operational budget. Please consider sponsoring this event, making a general donation or donating to a Flapjacks & Friends team. All gifts are greatly appreciated.
- Current sponsors: Tremendous thanks to our Flapjacks sponsors and teams.
- Creating a team: To set up a Flapjacks & Friends team to engage friends, families and colleagues in supporting Main Street, simply contact us to inform us of your team name (e.g. Team Freedman). We will then add your team name to the donation form on this page and you can encourage people to donate there – and hopefully to attend Flapjacks & Friends as well! Teams that raise $1000 or more will have their name listed on the Flapjacks & Friends T-shirt.
- RSVP: This event is free but please RSVP. Those who RSVP by September 7 will receive a Flapjacks & Friends T-shirt! Shirts must be picked up in person at the Flapjacks & Friends event.
All are welcome!