Member Service Event: Hiking Trail Maintenance and Pizza Lunch
Main Street is partnering with the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington to participate in the annual Sara and Samuel J. Lessans Good Deeds Day on Sunday, April 7. Hundreds of thousands of people from around the globe give back to their communities on Good Deeds Day each year.
Join Main Street members to take care of the beautiful green space in our county! We will work with Jim Corcoran of Montgomery Parks to put the finishing touches on a brand new hiking trail in Cabin John Park. We’ll use rakes to move away excess dirt and improve the slope of the trail, and we’ll use clippers to remove exposed roots. Get some fresh air, enjoy time with Main Street members and give back to our community!
Please take note of these important details:
- Date: Sunday, April 7
- Location: A trail that is a short walk from Scotland Neighborhood Park, 7700 Scotland Dr., Potomac, MD
- Parking: Park and meet the group in the parking lot of the Bette Carol Thompson Scotland Neighborhood Recreation Center, which is in the Scotland Neighborhood Park. (The center will be closed on Sunday so be aware that bathrooms will not be available.)
- Time: Trail work from 11 am – 1 pm, followed by pizza and salad at Gregorio’s. Please arrive at the park between 10:45 – 11 am. Trail work will end at 1 pm and we’ll head to Gregorio’s. Gregorio’s is at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane in Potomac, about one mile from the park. Participants need to have their own transportation to and from the park and Gregorio’s.
- Age requirement: The minimum age to volunteer independently is 15 years old; 13 and 14-year-olds may volunteer if a parent/adult family member participates with them. Montgomery Parks will not allow children younger than 13 to participate in this event.
- Clothing: Participants must wear closed-toe shoes and long pants.
- Cost: Free! Main Street will cover the cost of pizza, salad and soda at Gregorio’s. Those wishing to order other items may pay on their own.
- What to bring: Bring a water bottle. (Montgomery Parks will provide gloves and tools.)
- Accessibility: Unfortunately, this event will not be accessible to all as we will be working on an unpaved hiking trail. Opportunities to participate in Good Deeds Day at an accessible, indoor venue will be available at the Bender JCC.
- Support: Like other Main Street events, this is a “bring your own independence” event. We are not able to provide 1:1 support but participants are welcome to bring others to support them as needed.
Space is limited to 30 participants. Join us!