“If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.” – Booker T. Washington
Commemorate Freedom Day with Main Street through reflection and service to our community!
Activities will include:
- Making thoughtful treasures for the patients at The Children’s Inn at NIH
- Sorting and organizing toiletries for the Montgomery County Collaboration Council’s MoCo ReConnect Youth Drop-In Center (Please consider donating toiletries as well. See the donation wish list here or order wish list items from Amazon through this link.)
- Learning about Juneteenth by watching a short video and engaging in thoughtful discussion
Activities will take place at Main Street and at The Soulfull Cafe, both at 50 Monroe Place in Rockville.
The event will begin promptly at 11:00 am and run through 1:00 pm. We strongly encourage participants to arrive 15-30 minutes early to check in and to plan to be there for the full two hours if possible. The Soulfull Cafe will be open from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, so participants can grab a bite before, during or after the event.
Parking is available on the street and in the parking garage at 51 Monroe Place, directly across the street from the Main Street building. For those taking public transportation, we are located 500 feet from the Rockville Metro and bus station.
This event is free and all ages are welcome to participate. Children aged 13 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
Students may earn two Student Service Learning (SSL) hours. SSL forms will be available at the check-in table.
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED
RESOURCES ABOUT JUNETEENTH
Below are additional activities and resources related to Juneteenth for those who want to learn more:
- On Saturday, June 17, BlackRock Center for the Arts is hosting a free public Juneteenth festival filled with activities for the whole family. The event will run from 12:00 pm to 10:00 pm and will include dances, films, art exhibits, book talks and a full day of concerts.
- Juneteenth: The History of a Holiday from The New York Times (May 1, 2023)
- 3-minute video about Juneteenth from PBS LearningMedia
- Juneteenth Resource Guide from the University of New Hampshire Library